Monday, December 2, 2013

Homemade Ornaments!

 
So it’s that time of year where our fridges are full of thanksgiving left overs and the trees are freshly put up! Which means it’s time to jig up that tree for all to see, but when it comes to Christmas with kids the best part are the things are kids make to contribute to the holiday spirit. I thought how fun and cost effective would it be to whip up some homemade ornaments!!  It’s really simple I promise!! 
 
 Here’s the recipe to start:
1 cup Flour
1 cup salt
1/2 cup water
 
 
That’s it!! Now you mix the ingredients until fully combined try to mix the flour and salt together before adding the water just to make it easier to mix I used a wooden spoon to mix everything, then you turn out on a clean surface no need to flour the surface. Just kneed till it’s all together it will be a little crackly along the edges but that's fine. Now just separate the dough ball into 2 balls and then roll out nice and flat but not where you can see through by any means, if you can pick it up without it ripping apart its perfect, so now whip out a bunch of cookie cutters or even a knife and get creative (I used the knife to make the puzzle piece) don't forget to make tiny holes for hanging and then place in the oven for 2-3 hours on 200F. They will be nice and hard but somewhat fragile so be careful. Let them cool for about 5 minutes and then the real fun begins! Paint them up you can have the kids help but be sure to remind them to be gentle. I lost a few ornaments because my little ones underestimated their own strength lol. Now for painting I went to the dollar tree and picked up a few water color paint sets that look amazing and a few sharpies for details. Once they dry use some thread to weave through the holes and then hang! I recommend putting on your favorite Christmas music while engaging in this project it just kind of sets the mood and any time I have an excuse to play Christmas music I take it! 
 
Santa Handprints:
 
Now as for the Santa’s it’s the same process as the ornaments only difference is you need a thicker cut of the dough just roll out about a quarter of an inch thick or even a little less and then place the little hands and press! Takes a little bit of force and maybe a couple of tries but just be sure to press each finger and the palm until you have a nice imprint. Poke a hole where their isn't an imprint, use the knife to cut out the imprint like the picture shown leaving a border around the hand print. Put in the oven for 3 hours at 200F and then let cool again and paint using picture as a reference I used the watercolors and a sharpie! So have fun and Merry Christmas to you all!! 
 
Photo: the boys handprint santas are done!!! from left ro right aidan, damon, and damion! how cute are these!!!!
 *Pictures in this post belong to Krystal Rivera*
Hey everyone!  My name is Krystal Rivera.  I am a 24 year old stay at home mom/photographer.  I have 3 boys ages 2, 3 and 4.  I have been married for 5 years.  I love to indulge in the wonderful world that is couponing and homemade EVERYTHING! 
 
 
Amber's Siggy


 

11 comments:

  1. Such cute ornaments! I may have to try this! It would make great Christmas gifts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. this surely would make a great gift!! im glad you like them!

      Delete
  2. Adorable decorations. Very creative and hands on!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thats the best part that they are really fun to work with and makes for some great fun for those sensory seekers!

      Delete
  3. I love this idea. My kids enjoy painting and the kits at stores can be expensive if you don't plan a year ahead! My mom-in-law has been wanting me to make those Santa hand print ornaments for a while now. Great gift!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. exactly what i said that the kits are just too pricey but this is super cheap and really fun to put together even the paint is cheap! i got everything here from the dollar store minus the flour i got that from aldis for 1.50 salt .50 and water was free! and the water color paint 1$ from dollar tree so its fun and cost effective right up my alley

      Delete
  4. Fun! We have a homemade ornament tree this year too, but ive never tried making ornaments like these before

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks like such fun! I used to do that with my grandma as a kid!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have made ornaments in years! Never would have thought that it was this easy with only 3 ingredients!! Thank you for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these! So cool! Going to have to make these with my kids this year.

    ReplyDelete

Feel Free to Comment Anytime!